Tuesday, June 21, 2011

On the road to recovery!

I FINALLY got my hip replacement!  I was so nervous about the surgery. The surgery went well.  Intubating(putting in the breathing tube) me did not go well.  I guess it took an hour and twenty minutes to get the tube in because I can't move my head that well.  I guess I was almost put in the ICU because my throat started to swell.  Thankfully everything worked out in the end.  I was told to expect a sore throat and tenderness in my mouth and nose.  I told them that in addition to those issues, I couldn't feel part of my tongue.  They think that they may have hit a nerve trying to get the tube in.  They said that once the swelling goes down I should start to get some feeling back.  Several days later and I still can't feel part of my tongue.  Hopefully the sensation will come back in a few days.  My surgeon also told me that my left leg is now longer than my right.  He said that some people don't really notice it and others need to have a lift put in the other shoe.  It just depends on how much longer it is.  He won't be able to tell until I start walking again.  I had the best nurses and surgeon.  They took such great care of me.  Now I'm back at home starting my recovery.  I won't be able to put any weight on my leg for 6 weeks.  But I am allowed to do certain exercises to strengthen it.  I'm so excited to get started and to get walking again.  I also have the best friends and family anyone could ever ask for!  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment