Wednesday, June 8, 2011

And your point is??????????????

I've never been one to ask "Why me?".  However I sometimes wonder "Why?".  Is there a point to all of this?  Part of me feels I should be doing something more.  Exactly what I'm not sure.  2 knee replacements, 2 hip replacements, 1 failed hip replacement, an additional hip replacement coming up, 2 bunionectomies on my feet, and the hardest one of them all is surviving aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant. I'm so lucky to have had not one but two donor matches.  Most people have a hard time finding just one.  When at work I'm reminded everyday how lucky I am to be alive.  I went back to work a year after my ordeal started and on my first day back a co-worker pulled me aside.  He wanted to tell me how happy he was that I made it through everything.  He then told me that 10 years earlier his brother was diagnosed with Aplastic Anemia and needed a bone marrow transplant.  Unfortunately they were unable to find a donor match.  He eventually passed away from it.  Another co-worker's little brother passed away from a cancer after they were unable to find a donor match.  So every time I see them I'm reminded how lucky I am. Then I think, after all this I'm expected to just go back to my life as if nothing happened?  This October will be the 5 year anniversary of my transplant.  Unbelievable!  Sometimes it feels like it was a completely different person that went through it.  I do like to encourage people to donate blood and to register to become a bone marrow donor. Check out these sites:    www.indianablood.org    www.marrow.org   You never know. You just might save someones life.

No comments:

Post a Comment